Saturday, August 15, 2015

TO THE LADY THAT TOOK MY HEART - AND KEPT IT


I want to sing a hymn today. Yea, a hymn to my sweetheart, my love, the woman whose every breath is my heartbeat, whose every footfall is an apple in my eyes. There is another song I know, a song that calls her the Virgin of virgins, of David’s royal blood. But you see, I never knew King David. The State of Israel may have David’s star as their insignia, but my love is the Morning Star that rises, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as the mightiest of David’s armies set in battle array.

My soul magnifies the Lord today, and my spirit will for ever rejoice in the Lord my Savior. For he has raised up a lowly handmaid and has set her before the universe as the Star of the Sea, before the many mansions in the Father’s House as the House of Gold, before philosophers as the Seat of Wisdom, before the successful as the Cause of our Joy, before the oppressed as the Mirror of Justice and the Comforter of the Afflicted, before my patients as the Health of the Sick, before the repentant as the Refuge of Sinners, before all men, Russians and Americans, Hindus and Muslims, Fulanis and the people of Jos, as the Queen of Peace.

Not everyone understands the Assumption. I am among the many who do not. And this is why I acknowledge it as a mystery. 

But I know that today, I have in my heart a love song I would like to sing to the woman that I love, using words that have yet to be crafted, to communicate emotions that I feel, yet find impossible to express. I cannot reduce my love for you to expressions made word to ear, ink to scroll, pen to paper. What I feel for you is far deeper, far more precious, far more sublime than any pictures can paint, any words relate.

Thank you Mother Mary for giving me Baby Jesus. 

And thank you Jesus Crucified for giving your mother Mary to your disciple John…

...and to me.