Monday, September 28, 2015

A THANK YOU NOTE TO AN UNLIKELY LOT

Category: As I Was Saying...

I have on occasion been guilty of one sin: the sin of dismissing every single Nigerian policeman (and policewoman, mind you) as just another member of a thieving, inefficient, ineffective, corrupt lot, whose specialty is harassing motorists as the latter try to negotiate their way through the motley of death-traps on Nigerian roads. I have often held that the only crimes that our police officers have taught themselves to fight are hawking on some streets in Asokoro, riding okada in some parts of Lagos, parking a vehicle "wrongly" in parts of Onitsha.

But today, I woke up to the news that the police had rescued the patriarch of my family friend's home, less than 24 hours after he had been kidnapped from his residence. The kidnappers roughed him up some, but the men and women of the Nigerian Police Force got him out. Alive.


Kudos olopa.


Change is here.